Happy New Year, Beloved! I hope that 2019 bestows upon you peace for your mind, blessings for your soul, and love for your heart.
I'm not typically a person who follows the crowd with the "New Year, New Me" posts and resolves. But I do have some things I want to accomplish within the 12 months of this new year. Now, that's not to say that I didn't accomplish much during 2018. I learned so much- did so much.
My son and I traveled internationally for the first time. I was presented with a House Resolution by my state representative. I was awarded MAT Educator of the Year by my Alma Mater, Christian Brothers University. I wrote a book and had it published. I've made and lost friends. I've lost and gained weight (LOL!!). But overall, I must say that 2018 was a year of firsts. How could 2019 possibly be any better?
I don't make resolutions at all anymore. The "younger" I get, the more frivolous resolutions seem to be. I do, however, have some goals I would like to accomplish for the year.
1. Travel- In 2018, my son and I were fortunate enough to be able to take a 10 day 3 country tour of Europe. We spent time in London, Paris, Florence, and Rome taking in the scenery and learning the history of each city and country. And now, I have the traveling bug! Be it domestic or international, I would like to travel and see something new at least once a month. I love my city and enjoy the life I lead here, but the monotony that comes with being in the same place, doing the same thing daily, becomes tiresome and irritating. I want to see more and do more. Even my son has asked, "Mom, where are we going next?" I have to make a plan and a strategy to ensure that he and I get to do and see things that are fulfilling to our lives and minds.
2. Relax- I realize that I spend so much time doing for others that I rarely take the time to do the things that I want to or need to do for myself. This entire break was spent ripping and running to doctors' appointments and pharmacies. Running errands for those who needed it and taking care of others. I didn't get to do one thing that I wanted and needed to do for myself. Granted, all I really wanted to do was sleep. But still. I needed that. My goal is to continue with my spa treatments- massages and facials. I will also add manis and pedis as well because the way my toes are looking- I'm surprised my sheets have survived. I have to realize that selfishness is okay if it means preserving my peace of mind, health, and happiness.
3. Refresh My Closet- I have not been shopping in who knows how long. I don't dress horribly, but I know I need to make some updates to my wardrobe. When you look good, you feel good. And right now, I need to feel better. Things are working out in my favor so why not portray it on the outside? My grandmother always taught me that no matter how bad you feel, if you take a little extra time to look nice, you'll "feel more better." She never told me anything wrong.
4. Be Active- The more you do, the more energy you have. The more energy you have, the more likely you are to get some things accomplished. I have been so lazy lately and it has done nothing but be of detriment to my energy and lifestyle. If I can get in 30 minutes of activity and break a sweat, I will definitely feel better. I know I need to do this because several years ago I was diagnosed as being depressed. I was given medications to take that were supposed to balance the chemicals in my brain as well as my hormones. But all it did was make me a zombie-like insomniac. Needless to say, after a few months of being on those meds, I stopped taking them and I started working out. Everything I need to balance my mood is already in me. It just needs to be brought out.
5. Read- I usually don't have time to read until summer break because of all the reading and work I have to do to prepare to present things to my students. I refuse to keep doing that. I love to read. Fiction, cultural studies, mythology... I just LOVE TO READ! So why am I denying myself this thing that I enjoy? From here on out, I will devote as much time as I can to reading something during the day. And it will be materials that don't pertain to work.
What goals would you like to accomplish for this year? Please share them with me. Maybe we could be of encouragement to each other to ensure that we live our best lives in 2019!